Last week we got caught in a Gmail update and landed in a range of places that a nice newsletter should never be in. We met some shady dudes in spam folders, but we did win the lottery. So, yeah, that's pretty cool.
This week, I collected every cool deal I saw offered across the web. From Adobe through the Ivy League to Audible there is something here for anyone with time on their hands.
💻 The China-made OS that's a game-changer.
📼 How to make looped videos for your Zoom meetings. #PoorJennifer.
😼 Fake faces made by an AI for you to play with.
📰 From the Newsroom
Got time? These are the best free, low-cost, extended trial, offers released this week. 👔
450 Ivy League courses you can take for free.
Barre3 is offering 15-day trials of their streamable workouts. You can filter the workouts by time, goal, props to find something perfect for you.
If the lockdown has taught me one thing, it's that you really can't survive on meat+cheese+peppers toasted sandwiches for too long. KaleMaybe has some incredible recipes. Bonus: they get to the point quickly without the keyword-driven narratives you find everywhere else.
Mubi is my chance to act sophistimicated. It is a streaming platform that carries arthouse, independent, classic, and cult films. You can currently get three months for €1 (I think the amount is the same no matter which currency you use). My fearless leader gives it two thumbs up.
One of the best things I have seen recently. Live cams from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Yes, they are streaming sea-otters. Watch 'em from 5 PM till 5 AM.
Audible released a bunch of kid's books for streaming. You don't need to create a login, share an email, or pledge loyalty to Amazon. You just open the page and listen.
Adobe is giving students three-months of creative cloud for free. You will need the school administrator to complete this form. The free license will be good until the end of May.
For creatives and freelancers who don't have a student id. Affinity is also offering a 90-day-trial of their entire creative suite. They will also give you a 50% discount if you decide to go paid when the trial ends.
⛓️ Ten Must See Links of the Week
- You don't have to be sharp, just look sharp. How to make a looped video for Zoom meetings.
- If you said that a unicycle range slider was impractical, you'd be right. But, you'd also be a jerk. This is great.
- Beautiful Fake Faces is a collection of customizable AI-generated portraits. The gallery is a horror show.
- Hypnotic loading animation with CSS circles.
- I really liked this collection of illustrations. The shading reminds me of old children's books.
- I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but these distorted link effects on menus should be given their moment in the sun.
- It's a good time to make a website. You know I would recommend building a site with WordPress.
- Pure CSS landscape.
- A list of big mistakes to avoid when launching a product.
- Another tale of intrigue, stolen (brand) identity, and crisis from Amazon.
That's it for the week.
If you have any links to share, then reply to this email. All replies go straight to my inbox and I read them all.
If you received this via a forward, then you can sign up here.
Have a great week,