We're back with another round of interesting non-standard news and links from the world of tech, apps, and dev.
In this edition:
- 🕵️♂️ Democracies are spying on citizens.
- 💵 A $3 billion Silk Road seizure will erase Ross Ulbricht's debt.
- 🤯 Thousands of popular sites can see what you type.
📰 From the Newsroom
⛓️ Ten Must See Links of the Month
- New social media app BeReal encourages people to post photos for friends, but with a few surprising twists.
- Imagine taking a gadget into a locker room or a meet and greet with professional athletes and being able to gather and sequence their DNA.
- Dummy in flight: Boeing's Starliner space taxi started its second test flight to the space station.
- Getting tired of meeting fatigue? New Cisco conferencing devices might have a healing remedy.
- Since January, nearly 50 startups have made significant layoffs, signalling trouble ahead for early-stage startups facing an economic downturn.
- Synesthesia TikTok? There's a corner of TikTok where users claim they can smell colors, taste sounds, and see music.
- YouTuber CoffeeZilla is exposing crypto scams.
- Masterschool, a network of tech career-training schools, has raised a $100 million seed funding round.
- After more than two decades, Apple is phasing out its cornerstone product - the iPod.
- Spotify is testing a feature that would allow select artists to promote NFTs.
🎤 It’s How They Said It
🧮 The numbers game
- Looks matter. A new study revealed that half of consumers agree that their impressions of a company are dependent on its website design.
- Cybersecurity market revenue is expected to reach $146.30 billion this year. The largest market segment, IT services, is projected to reach a market volume of $69.62 billion.
- Today, there are over 1,000 billion-dollar “Unicorn” startups across the globe, with the most valuable being TikTok's parent company Bytedance.
That's it for the week. If you have links to share, then my emails are always open. Simply reply to this email to land in my inbox.
If this is the first time you're seeing this email, and you'd like to get more, then sign up here.
Have a great month, - John